6 Simple & Smart Exercises To Reduce Knee Arthritis Pain
Exercise is one of the best ways to relieve the pain and stiffness of knee arthritis. Exercise strengthens the muscles around the knees, and it improves your flexibility, range of motion, and balance. As your doctor or a physical therapist to help determine the best exercises for you.
Try these 6 Simple Exercises to Reduce Your Knee Arthritis Pain
Exercise #1 - Hamstring Stretch
- Sit on the floor with your legs stretched out in front of you. Bend one knee, placing the bottom of the foot against the inside of the other leg. Let the bent knee drop toward the floor.
- Bend forward from the hips and reach toward the ankle of your outstretched leg. Go only as far as is comfortable. Keep your chest straight; don't round your upper back or neck.
- Hold the stretch and relax into it. Then stretch the other leg.
Exercise #2 - Quadriceps Stretch
- While standing, place your right hand on the wall or the back of a chair for support. Bend your left leg behind you, and grab it just above the ankle with your left hand.
- Pull the ankle backward toward your buttocks. Tighten your stomach and tuck your buttocks in.
- Hold the stretch for a moment, then release and stretch the other leg.
Exercise #3 - Calf Stretch
This gentle calf stretch increases flexibility in your leg muscles and knee joints.
- Bring your right foot a few feet in front of your left foot. Bend your right leg, making sure your knee doesn't go past your toes.
- Keeping your left leg straight, press your left heel toward the ground to stretch the calf of your back leg.
- Hold for 30 seconds. Repeat on opposite leg.
- Do this exercises 3 times daily.
Exercise #4 - Seated Leg Raise
The seated leg raise exercise helps strengthen muscles around your knees.
- Sit on a chair with both legs bent at 90°.
- Slowly raise your right leg so that it's parallel to the floor, keeping your left foot on the ground.
- Hold for 30 seconds, then slowly bring the right foot back to the floor, and repeat on left leg.
- Do this exercise 10 times twice a day.
Exercise #5 - Forward Bend
- Stand with your feet a few inches apart and knees slightly bent. Bend forward from the waist and reach for your toes.
- Go only as far as is comfortable. Let your arms hang loosely.
- Hold the stretch for five slow breaths, then slowly come back up.
- Try to feel yourself unrolling one vertebra at a time until you're standing straight again.
Exercise #6 - Side Leg Raise
- Stand with your hands on the back of a chair with your feet slightly apart. Slowly raise your right leg to the side.
- Make sure your left knee is slightly bent and your back is straight. Keep right leg raised for one second.
- Lower the leg, then repeat 10 to 15 times. Now switch legs and do 10 to 15 side raises with your left leg.
- Next, switch back to your right leg and do 10 to 15 raises. Finish by doing another 10 to 15 raises with your left leg.
KNEE PAIN REDUCTION STRAPS Designed to Relief Knee Arthritis Pain
Don't Miss Out! Receive Your Free e-Book on Coping with Arthritis Now
Be Sure to "Like" our Facebook Page to See All Our Happy Winners & Prizes